April 26, 2008

First Blood interview by Rob WWTO with Carl vocalist for First Blood




www.myspace.com/firstblood
http://www.firstbloodrules.com


First off I would like to thank Carl for taking the time to answer my questions.


How long has First Blood been a band?

A little over 5 years. We played our first show in San Francisco in 2002.

I understand you recorded Killifornia mostly on your own, was that a tough process?

It wasnt so hard recording, there was just so little time to write it and that was probably the most stressful part

Where do you see First Blood in 5 years?

In a van, broke, playin shows hopefully still

What was touring with Terror like?

Good. I got to see the world, play music, do some cool shit. But I just wanted to have my own band for a while so I left to do this.

What are your lyrical influences?

It's beginning with straight edge and veaganism. Shit the I'm not really happy with and I might not have all the answers for but atleast I try to talk about it.

Describe your sound to a first time listener?

I dont know 3rd rate hatebreed. Screaming, heavy shit, whatever.

What are your musical influences?

Anywhere from my favorite metal band of all times probably Metallica, I listen to all sorts of shit really

What about shows in your area, how are they?

California, shows are awesome. When we first started a band San Francisco of all the places I've been goin to shows growing up its a place where I met some really good people. It's a lot different now because I don't know that many people there anymore. I'm not there so much because we're always on tour. California is awesome, San Diego, LA, Sacramento, a lot of good places out there.

Favorite bands to play shows or tour with.

Death before Dishonor is awesome. Since the Flood right now is cool as hell, they're good dudes.

Describe what first got you into hardcore and what it means to you

I was into metal and death metal when I was in highschool. Someone introduced me to Madball and I thought they were really good. Them and Sick of it All were the first hardcore bands I really got into.

So why do you think hardcore gets a bad reputation from people who don't understand what its about?

People are so obsessed and absorbed by popular culture. Whatever they see on tv is cool or they don't understand that there's so many people out there who try to do shit on their own. It's like if something doesnt fit into some stupid mold or whats normal or popular then they give it a bad rap. People don't think for themselves I guess.

If you could have anybody at all do guest vox on the next First Blood cd, who would it be and why?

I don't know I've been thinking about it. Karl from Earthcrisis they made a comeback and all these other bands doing a comeback, but thats a dude who stuck to his word the whole time. It's kind of like his whole set of beliefs have remained consistent over the years. Just for that I'd have him try to come on and do some stuff.

Is there anywhere besides myspace and purchasing a cd that we can hear your music?

Come out and see us on tour, download our shit off the internet. You can steal it, you can beat up your friend and take the cd. I hope kids will pick up our cd. As long as kids hear who we are, come out and have a good time thats all that matters. It's not like we get rich doing it at all.

Anything you would like to add that I havent asked?

We got a demo out from 2002, we put out a cd last year called Killifornia. We're heading into the studio at the end of August to record our new album that should be out in early 2008 on Trustkill. We're going to be on tour all the time so check out our myspace page. We'll be all around, thats about it.